The Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) is one of the busiest airports in the world. Among other things, it’s known for its slow security lanes and lengthy waiting times, especially for international passengers.
Arriving 2 hours before a domestic flight and 3 hours before an international one is the norm. The situation is so extreme that many passengers have to book a Carlsbad car service to LAX to make sure they’ll get to the airport on time.
In an effort to help you get through LAX and catch your flight with as little frustration as possible, we’ve provided the answers to a few common questions about LAX and its infamous wait times. Keep reading to learn more.
How long does it take to get through security at LAX?
Most passengers take anywhere from half an hour to an hour and a half to pass through customs and immigration at Los Angeles Airport. Believe it or not, things used to be worse. The implementation of cutting-edge automated screening lanes has actually reduced the average wait time by a few minutes.
Keep in mind that the 30-90 minute wait time is just a broad average. In practice, the wait times can be longer or shorter depending on how many flights have landed at LAX at the same time, how many passengers are waiting, and how many customs and immigration agents are present.
Do you have to go through security between terminals at LAX?
Unless you’ve just landed at LAX and haven’t passed through security yet, there’s no need to go through security to access a different terminal. Passengers can freely embark on the terminal shuttle bus that moves in a counterclockwise loop through the airport and makes stops at each terminal.
If you prefer walking:
- Terminals B, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 are connected with airside walkways
- Terminals 6, 7, and 8 are linked via above-ground tunnels
- Terminals 4, 5, and 6 use underground tunnels
- Terminals B and 4 are linked with an above-ground tunnel
It’s worth noting that you don’t actually have to switch terminals at any point. If you have a valid boarding pass for a same-day departure from any terminal at LAX, you can enter and clear security at any of the terminals.
Be cautious about packing the following items:
- Headbands contain metal that can trigger a TSA security scanner. Put the headband on the x-ray belt before going through the scanner.
- Inhalers often use aerosol products. If you carry an inhaler, let an officer know as soon as possible and make sure it’s properly labeled with the prescription information.
- Underwire bras supposedly aren’t picked up by security scanners. However, many women claim that these bras have in fact triggered security. It’s best to be safe (and comfortable) and wear a sports bra when flying.
Is there parking space at LAX?
Absolutely. Parking can be found in one of the 8 garages at the airport. The Central Terminal area offers free parking for motorcycles inside the parking structures. If you’re using an electric vehicle, you can park and charge it at Economy Lot 6, or at the arrival level of parking structures 1 and 6.
Where can I book a quality Carlsbad car service to LAX?
Missing your flight because you arrived at the airport late is one of the most embarrassing (and expensive) mistakes a traveler can make. At Stay Classy Transportation, we’d like to help make sure that never happens to you.
As the premier provider of airport transportation services in Carlsbad, we take great pride in our experienced and highly-trained chauffeurs, our versatile fleet of top-of-the-line vehicles, and our long list of returning customers. Book your ride today!